The American Canoe Association (ACA) Advanced Swiftwater Rescue workshop is aimed at trip leaders, boaters paddling on more challenging whitewater, and anyone desiring opportunities to develop their rescue skills. Critical judgment and rescue awareness, impacting both personal and group safety, are emphasized throughout the course. Although new skills may be taught, this class focuses on developing judgment and applying skills in rescue scenarios. Scope and content of the course will vary, based upon participant needs, interests and experience. 3-day class
Each participant must review and complete our Liability/Medical Release form prior to taking part in an activity. Minors must have a parent signature. If you would like to have a copy of this form emailed to you please contact us.
The American Canoe Association (ACA) Advanced Swiftwater Rescue Level 5 workshop is a scenario-based course. Participants will be involved in hands-on practice of various swiftwater rescue skills. The focus of this advanced class is to gain additional experience in judgement and safety - while getting a refresher of skills learned in previous courses. This is a 3-day class that includes land and water skills practice and scenarios.
- Promote proactive prevention of river accidents and injuries.
- Reinforce basic rescue skills, including swimming/self rescue, throw ropes, and boat based rescue
- Practice skills during multiple scenarios
- Refine and extend critical judgment through multiple scenarios
- Develop and practice more advanced rope-based and in-water skills
During this course we will spend time in class I-II+ moving water. Participants should have completed an ACA (or equivalent) Swiftwater Rescue workshop within the past three years and should be in overall good health, a confident swimmer, and able to hold their breath under water. Participants should dress appropriately for weather and temperature, and should expect to be in the water for extended periods of time.
Each participant must have the following items for class. Discounted equipment rental package is available from OAC, with advance notice.
- PFD designed for whitewater use
- whitewater helmet
- protective clothing suitable for extended swimming in cold water (wetsuit or drysuit with appropriate layers)
- protective footwear
- throw rope